Thursday, May 3, 2012

One Who Gives Good


      4:30 am. My alarm awakens me from a sound sleep. My thoughts turn to my morning worship… “Father in Heaven, please give me what I need for this day. Give me the food... the bread that will strengthen me for what is to come. You know what will happen today, I don’t…” Matthew 7:11 springs to mind as a promise in answer to my prayer. “If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask Him?” 


      A few minutes later...“Surely his salvation is nigh them that fear him; that glory may dwell in our land. Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other. Truth shall spring out of the earth; and righteousness shall look down from heaven. Yea, the Lord shall give that which is good…” Psalm 85:9-12. 

      The Lord shall give that which is good. It seems like an understatement. “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father…” James 1:17. “This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof and not die.” John 6:50. “If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land.” Isaiah 1:19.
     There is none good, but One, that is God. If the Father knows how to give that which is good to His children, that means He knows how to give Himself for them...to them...to us...to...me. How good is God, that He should give Himself to wayward humanity? “If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?” Luke 11:11. No...no my friends, God, our Father will not give a stone, nor a serpent. He gave Himself in the fullness of Christ. He gives still in the presence of the Holy Spirit. Yes, God gives that which is good...very, very good.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful . . . and so true.

    Thank you for sharing, Lauralea.

    ReplyDelete